Thursday, October 24, 2013

DECLARATION OF INTENT TO PROVIDE HOME-BASED INSTRUCTION

I think I've heard too many horror stories about potential homeschooling parents being berated by public  school administrators, because I feel like I'm paranoid every single year when I have to spend HOURS searching every link in the School District website trying to find their 'declaration of intent to provide home-based instruction' form. I've felt for years that they are deliberately putting it in ridiculous places just to make it difficult to find, and I am starting to think they are purposefully moving it from year to year to throw me off :) because whenever I do manage to find it, its never in the same place on the website twice. Go ahead and try to find it! http://www.longview.k12.wa.us/ The parent section? No! Records? No! Adminstration? No! :) Oh, I should have known, its only available if you search for it by name in the website's ARCHIVE! Silly me, why didn't I think to look there?!?!!?!?!?

Paranoid rant aside, this is a form that you will have to fill out and send in every single year (within 2 weeks of school starting in the fall). You have to send this specific form in - no hand-written notes or generic forms that you found online -it has to be this one (their words) and it has to be the original, not a photocopy (I learned this the hard way!)

This form protects the school district from liability (for not teaching the child) and protects you from legal action for truancy. PS- your child is not truant (ie, skipping school), he is receiving home-based instruction. And you will have the documentation to prove it right in your school records file (right?)

If you are in Longview School District, this is the form you need. Different school districts will have a different form. If you can't find it on the website, you can call the office and have them send one to you, but be prepared for attitude (I wish I were joking).

This is the link to the official form (for now, anyway!)  http://wayback.archive-it.org/2713/20121024164001/http://www.longview.k12.wa.us/student%20learning/pdf/Home-Based%20Registration%20Form-%20Online%20Fill-in%20Form.pdf

After you fill it out, MAKE A COPY and keep the copy in your school records, just in case. This will prove that you submitted it, if there is ever a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment